Mother calls for full investigation into son’s death

first_imgHighway resort tragedyThe mother of the late 18-year-old Ronaldo Gomes, called “Naldo,” is calling for a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding her son’s tragic death on Saturday during an outing at a private resort on the Linden/Soesdyke Highway.The lifeless body of the former student of both the Business School and School of the Nations was pulled from the black water almost two hours after he had gone missing. When pulled from the water, it was discovered that the teen’s face was disfigured, and upon enquiring, relatives were told that he had come into contact with a jet-ski earlier in the day. Although that had been the case, the rider of the jet-ski had not reported the incident. It was not until a search had been launched for the teen that someone reportedly told personnel at the resort that the teen hadDead teen: Ronaldo Gomescome into contact with one of the jet-skis.Guyana Times understands that the teenager’s body was recovered at the same spot where he had been struck by the jet-ski.At his home on Monday, the late teenager’s mother, Paula Williams, told Guyana Times she had last spoken with her late teenage son on Saturday morning, when he informed her that he was not working; but at no time during the conversation did he say he was going to the creek.“He went to the creek with a cousin… I was told it was an outing to celebrate a child’s 5th birthday, so definitely there was no alcohol… At about 4:30pm (16:30h), his cousin went to buy some ice for the party, and when he come back, Naldo ask him to take a swim, but he (Naldo) was told that it was late and they were about to leave,” the woman stated. He (Naldo) nevertheless persuaded his cousin to allow him to take “one final swim”.However, at about 17:00h, when everyone else had boarded the bus, the late teen’s cousin enquired about him, but was told he had gone to take a swim.Guyana Times was told that persons disembarked the bus and started to search for the teen, but there was no sign of him. At the time, there was reportedly no personnel at the resort to assist them in their search, and as such, the driver went to make a missing person’s report at the nearby Police station.While there, he received a telephone call from someone, informing him that his cousin’s body had been found. “His face, neck and arm were injured…that is no drowning…the person who hit him with the boat drove away and left him to die,” the mother told this publication.She is adamant that the person who had been driving the jet-ski had not been sufficiently alert. ‘If you are in a boat driving, and it hits even a coconut shell, the driver will know he hit something…,” she added.“What is more worrying too, is the fact that when an alarm was raised that my son was missing, there were no life guards and workers of the resort present to help look for him,” the aggrieved mother noted.The Police, she explained, have not gotten back to the family, but would have indicated that they could not do anything until the post mortem is conducted. That procedure is slated for Wednesday at the Georgetown Public Hospital.Williams has said she would await the results of the autopsy to determine the way forward, but she is convinced that her son did not die by drowning; and even if that had been the case, it was the injuries from the Jet Ski hit that had caused him to drown.The dead teen, a lover of dogs, has been described as a jovial, well-mannered sport fanatic. He leaves to mourn his parents and four siblings.last_img read more

Read More »

Obama’s victory like Mandela’s: Tutu

first_img6 November 2008 The former president applauded Obama’s commitment to supporting peace and security around the world, and asked him to help in ridding the world of poverty and disease. Comparing Obama’s victory to that of South Africa when Nelson Mandela became the country’s first black president in 1994, Tutu said it showed “that change is possible in the world”. The 47-year-old president-elect, who will be sworn in as America’s 44th president in January 2009, said “change is coming to America”. “We wish you strength and fortitude in the challenging days and years that lie ahead,” Mandela wrote. “We are sure you will ultimately achieve your dream of making the United States of America a full partner in a community of nations committed to peace and prosperity for all.” Meanwhile, Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki declared Thursday a public holiday “for Kenyans to celebrate the historic achievement by Senator Obama and our country.” Anglican Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu was among other South Africans who congratulated Obama on Wednesday. Source: BuaNews Busa said it hoped Obama would fulfil the promises of subsidies made by the US to developing countries during World Trade Organisation talks. ‘Change is coming to America Kibaki called Obama’s victory a “momentous” day for Kenya, where Obama’s father was born. “The victory of Senator Obama is our own victory because of his roots here in Kenya,” Kibaki said. “As a country, we are full of pride for his success.”center_img Business Unity South Africa (Busa) said Obama would bring a new and fresh approach to the economy that would change America’s relationships with the rest of the world. Obama won the key states of Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania, securing him his seat in the White House. He said this was seen “by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen, of people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different.” Earlier on Wednesday, South African President Kgalema Motlanthe urged Obama to use his presidency to tackle poverty. Obama won a convincing victory on Wednesday, saying his election was proof that his country was capable of change. Delivering his acceptance speech, Obama told a rally of over 200 000 people that their response to his call to vote was outstanding. “We express the hope that poverty and under-development in Africa, which remains a challenge for humanity, will indeed continue to receive a greater attention of the focus of the new administration,” Motlanthe said. As the world celebrates Barack Obama’s win in the United States presidential elections, former South African president Nelson Mandela has written a letter congratulating Obama on his victory. Hopes for trade subsidies In a letter sent out by the Nelson Mandela Foundation, Mandela said the achievement of Obama, the son of an African immigrant and the first black president of the world’s most powerful country, demonstrated that every person had the potential to bring about change for a better world.last_img read more

Read More »

PBA D-League: St. Clare ousts Metropac-San Beda to enter semis

first_img‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP MOST READ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Nick Kyrgios right to hate French Open, says Bernard Tomic after exit “We played poorly. Fortunately for us, Joshua stepped up,” said St. Clare coach Jinino Manansala.Fontanilla tallied 12 points, five assists and five steals to lead St. Clare, which faces either Cento Escolar University or Go for Gold-College of St. Benilde in the semis.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsSt. Clare also snapped San Beda coach Boyet Fernandez’s personal finals streak at nine straight conferences.James Canlas led the Red Lions with 14 points, five rebounds and five. Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war LATEST STORIES DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew View comments Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too PBA IMAGESMANILA, Philippines–St. Clare College Virtual Reality booked its first trip to the semifinals after turning back Metropac-San Beda, 65-60, Tuesday in the 2019 PBA D-League at Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.Joshua Fontanilla came through in the clutch, scoring the last six points for St. Clare inside the last two minutes to fend off San Beda.ADVERTISEMENT Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting San Beda just returned to Manila from its Las Vegas training camp earlier in the daSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

Read More »

Intruder attempted to rape an Encanto woman

first_img KUSI Newsroom May 3, 2019 Intruder attempted to rape an Encanto woman Posted: May 3, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – An intruder attempted to rape a woman this morning inside her Encanto home, police said.The victim showed up at her neighbor’s house and asked the neighbor to call police shortly before 6 a.m. to report that a man had broken into her house in the 6100 block of Wunderlin Avenue and tried to rape her, San Diego police Sgt. Michael Stirk said.Details regarding the break-in were scarce, but the burglar stole the woman’s cellphone. then fled the area, Stirk said. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Read More »

Chennai floods wash out Rs 1700 crore of MSME business

first_imgOf the estimated Rs 15,000 crore losses due to the recent devastating floods in Chennai, coastal Tamil Nadu and the neighbouring Puducherry, MSMEs bore the maximum brunt of about Rs 1,700 crore, says a report.On a most conservative side, MSME sector has lost nearly Rs 1,700 crore to the calamity in just two peak weeks of the flooding,” SMERA Ratings lead economist Karan Mehrishi said.This is a very conservative estimate and the actual financial losses in terms of lost opportunities and job losses could be much higher, he added. Also Read – Punjab & Sind Bank cuts MCLR by up to 20 basis pointsVarious analysts have pegged the overall loss to the industries in the region at over Rs 15,000 crore from the month-long floods which had even forced the airport and the railways to shut operations for nearly a week.City-based SMERA Ratings is a joint initiative of Sidbi and some state-run banks, and the private sector financial advisor Dun & Bradstreet Information Services India. He also said that this Rs 1,700 crore projected loss is only from the manufacturing side and if services are included, the damages could be much higher. Also Read – ‘The great gold bull market has begun’“The impact of the floods has serious ramifications on not only the local economy but also national economy as the Chennai metropolitan region’s manufacturing economy is worth Rs 1,51,800 crore or around 3 per cent of the national GDP, Mehrishi said.The loss figure has been arrived at after calculating the weekly loss in lost businesses for the micro and small industrial sector, which bore the brunt of the killer floods at nearly Rs 840 crore, he added. This makes the annual size of the Chennai metropolitan region’s MSME manufacturing GDP at around Rs 21,500 crore. According to SMERA analysis, seven major MSME categories of industry and industrial services in the region, were hit the most due to the floods. The leather sector bore the maximum losses with estimated damages of over Rs 380 crore, followed by gold and jewellery sector at Rs 237 crore, auto components at Rs 105 crore, printing sector at Rs 37.50 crore, Mehrishi said. Story PageChennai floods wash out Rs 1700 crore of MSME businessThe next in line of losses is the plastics sector which is estimated to have lost Rs 35 crore, followed by IT related services at over Rs 33 crore, garments at Rs 10 crore and pharmaceuticals (ayurveda & siddha) at Rs 1.25 crore.There are an estimated 36,000 MSMEs registered in the Chennai region and the agency has analysed a sample size of nearly 20,000. Among the large contributors, auto components and related businesses contribute 28 per cent to the region’s economy. It can be recalled that a slew of automakers like BMW, Ford, Nissan, Renault, Royal Enfield, Hyundai, Ashok Leyland, among others, have given Chennai the moniker of Detroit of the East.IT and related services come second with a contribution of 17 per cent, gold about 8 per cent, leather at 6.4 per cent, printing at 4.2 per cent and garments at 3.27 per cent, respectively. On individual loss of the city’s citizens, the per capita loss stood at nearly Rs 2,530 in terms of potential income loss with every week foregone.last_img read more

Read More »